What is the difference between these three children?
- Child 1 is loved by its parents, who hoped it would grow up happy and healthy
- Child 2 is loved by its parents, who hope it will grow up happy and healthy
- Child 3 is loved by its parents, who hope it will grow up happy and healthy
- Child 1 is unlucky. It was born in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and did not grow up happy and healthy.
- Child 2 is unlucky. It was born in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and Scott Morrison is either going to send it back to torture and abuse, or place it in a camp where its education, health and future will be destroyed.
- Child 3 is unlucky. It was born to the wrong parent, and will grow up knowing that its father could have saved Child 2, and many like it, but chose not to.
WE can help, directly, to save Child 2 and Child 3.
We cannot prevent famine, war, and genocide; we can donate money, and try to eliminate them, but we cannot save every child. We cannot help Child 1 directly.
We CAN help the other two, directly. What happens to them is not out of our control, or out of the control of our Government and its Ministers. Scott Morrison has the power to change the lives of Child 2 and Child 3 by a single decision. He can send Child 2 back to almost certain abuse, and possible loss of its parents. He can send Child 2 to a “detainment” camp, where its health will suffer, its education will cease, and its parents will see days turn into months and years without knowing their fate, and watching their child’s future be ruined. Or he can behave like a compassionate human being, and grant Child 2 asylum in Australia where it can grow up happy and healthy, like his own child. Child 2 has broken no laws, and is guilty of nothing.
What can WE do? Tell our Federal members, and tell our Senators, and tell Scott Morrison that Child 2 deserves a future, just as Child 3 does.
Child 2’s fate is entirely in his hands, just as Child 3 is.
Help him make the right decision.